Human Resource Specialist
- Date Posted: 2023-12-06 16:49
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is a U.S. government corporation focused on assisting countries dedicated to good governance, economic freedom, and investing in people. In May 2022, MCC signed a five-year agreement (“compact”) with the government of Lesotho (GoL) aimed at poverty reduction through inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the country. The Millennium Challenge Account (MCA- Lesotho II), is an entity established by the Government to act as the accountable entity to implement the Compact, with the authority to bind the Government with regard to all Program activities.
The Lesotho Health and Horticulture Compact aims to benefit 2.5 million people by growing, strengthening, and organizing the private sector in Lesotho and improving the government’s coordination to deliver critical services necessary to support private sector development. It will achieve this goal through investments in Health System Strengthening, strengthening of the business environment and Market Driven Irrigated Horticulture, providing sustainable income for smallholders and increasing climate resilience by replacing rain-fed subsistence farming with irrigated commercial horticulture in select locations. The GoL is committed to passing several key reforms that will help make this compact successful, including reforms that address gender equality, working conditions and worker safety, as well as land and water rights. All of the compact’s projects focus on overcoming barriers to the economic inclusion of women, youth, and the rural poor.
Human Resource Specialist
Objective of this position
The Human Resources Specialist under the supervision of the Manager, Human Resources provides technical and administrative support in the execution of all human resources transactions such as recruitment, actively contributes into the development and design of the human resources operating standards, systems and processes including adapting MCA-Lesotho II’s human resources policies to the applicable requirements and organizational needs, and ensures that all Human Resources related functions at MCA-Lesotho II support an enabling work environment for high performance.
- Assist the Manager, Human Resources translate the requirements of the compact program into a staffing and recruitment strategy for MCA-Lesotho II, to include a comprehensive staffing plan, detailed job descriptions for each position, an outreach and recruitment approach, and procedures for evaluating applications and interviewing candidates.
- Assist in the delivery of human resources services (recruitment, staffing plan, performance management and human resources policies.) for conformity with MCC/MCA-LESOTHO II human resources standards and alignment to organization needs.
- Assist in the development of an effective on boarding programme for new staff to MCA-Lesotho II.
- Provide continuous advice through continuous engagement with internal stakeholders to create a work environment that supports objectivity, transparency in evaluating, recognizing and fairly rewarding employee performance.
- Assist in recruitment activities, from posting job vacancies to scheduling applicant interviews and contracting, ensuring proper documentation and timely delivery against MCA-Lesotho II programmatic and operation personal needs.
- Advise internal the Manager Human Resources on identified issues which may impede delivery of services or their consistency/conformity to MCC/MCA-LESOTHO II standards and recommend remedial solutions to improve service delivery.
- Advise managers and staff on guidelines, timelines, procedures, and issues regarding the provision of Human Resources services. Advise project directors and staff on guidelines, timelines, and Human Resources procedures and processes to build an informed basis for interactions and promote compliance with MCC HR guidelines
- Identify and administer a common benefits program for the staff of MCA-Lesotho II to include health or medical insurance, allowances and performance bonuses, ensuring compliance with policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Reconcile data on overall program performance of MCA-Lesotho II staff against organizational performance metrics.
- Anticipate staffing needs of MCA-Lesotho II and ensure that the MCA is continually well resourced.
- Demonstrated expertise in conducting needs assessments to identify skill gaps and training requirements within the organization.
- Proven experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating professional development programs.
- Maintain staff records for all MCA-Lesotho II employees ensuring the security, accuracy, and confidentiality of information.
- Organize requisite training and facilitate availability of materials, coordinate logistical arrangements for internal and external MCA-Lesotho II staff development and engagement activities.
- Document issues and best practices to help inform continuous learning and process/workflow improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management, business administration, or other relevant fields with at least five (5) years or more of prior experience working in the organization and delivery of human resource services.
- Experience in the application of human resources policies and procedures for a government agency or ministry, international development partner, or international organization preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in all facets of human resource services, including the successful implementation of professional human resources interventions and policies, performance management systems, retention strategies, comprehensive benefits packages and staff wellness programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in designing or building professional development progress, needs assessments, and/ or skills building programs.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply Lesotho labour and employment practices, standards, regulations and laws.